Monday, November 6, 2017

Being "Alone"


With colder weather & the "holiday" season, the topic of "relationships" comes up. From what I've seen, this is the time when everyone seems to want anyone. I get it, it's the holiday season and like the movies, it's a dream to spend it with a significant other. I'd be lying if I denied ever wanting to be in a relationship during the holidays, but after being "independent" for so long, and simply just not having "feelings" for anyone, I realized it's okay. Here's what I think about being "alone."

Disclaimer: I'm no relationship expert, and I'm not trying to tell you "how to feel," or "what to do," but simply sharing my opinion. You do you! 

You've probably heard it before, but seriously, it IS okay to be single. It IS okay to be "alone." I feel like these days, people used to being in relationships aren't okay with being alone and instantly jump to the next, and those who are used to being alone have others bombarding them with "why don't you just meet someone?" My answer would be: "Why do I have to meet someone?" This past year, if you've been following bits and pieces of my posts, you probably know I've been working on myself, and it's still a work in progress. I'm still lost. I'm focused on figuring out me, and who I want to be. Honestly, I don't have time or energy to be thinking about the idea of being with someone. This is not to say you have to be "single" to work on yourself, I have many friends who are able to work on themselves while having their partner support them and help them as well and that's amazing. If you have someone part of your personal growth journey, then that's amazing. Hold on. But make sure it's a positive impact. If they're holding you back, let go. I believe everyone has a gut feeling when things aren't going well, but many just choose to ignore it. I know so many people who are strong and independent, and it kills me when they don't see it themselves and their life revolves around someone else. 

"Find yourself before you find love."





      
Learn to love your own company, and don't let others drag you down. Be selfish sometimes. Stop trying to find comfort in others, especially when there is SO MUCH more you can do. You are MORE than what you think you are. Travel, find a hobby, do what you've been wanting to do but keep putting aside. Live your best life. That time you're wasting on being upset over petty quarrels or trying to find a significant other can be used elsewhere. And honestly, when you're ready and not looking, the universe will find a way to unexpectedly have you meet "the one."

It could be an unpopular opinion, but I choose to be alone because I've grown to enjoy my own company and to be real, I'm young. I believe there are so many people I've yet to meet and so many places I've yet to explore. Those are the main reasons why I choose to be alone. I can't imagine tying myself down or have an obligation to be "someone" for someone else at this point in my life. I've barely gotten started. This is why I always disclaim "I don't know how you personally feel so I can't tell you what to do, but..." before giving advice to my friends, because often they know where I stand when it comes to relationships. It's not easy understanding others and their feelings when personally, I can't imagine feeling so strongly towards another at this age. 

Even though 90% of my friends are in relationships, some getting engaged (don't forget to invite me to your wedding haha), I'm not annoyed/jealous as I used to be back in high school. Sure your best friend is getting married, that doesn't mean you need to as well. Surround yourself with amazing friends and family, cause at the end of the day those people are the ones making your youth timeless.

Being "Alone" isn't a bad thing, you do you. 

Before you know it, you'll be doing amazing things you've always wanted to do. Before it gets harder to do whatever you've always wanted to, go for it now. And though others may be part of your journey, don't forget it was YOUR potential and strength that brought you there.



xoxo, Lina

Post a Comment

INSTAGRAM | @LITTLEEENA

© A Petite Gal's Life | LITTLEEENA. Design by FCD.