Tuesday, May 17, 2016

First Impressions: Beauty & Skincare

Target: ELF Lip Exfoliator, Soap & Glory Facial Wash, Rimmel Stay Matte Powder, + NYX Liquid Suede Lipstick | Sephora: Clinique Gel Moisturizer 

I recently purchased a couple products from Target since they had a "spend $25 on beauty, get a $5 gift card" promotion going on, and I needed a new face wash. I've been wanting to try Soap and Glory's Vitamin C Facial Wash after seeing great reviews about it. So glad I found this on Target.com for $12 (I was going to purchase this back in Canada but it was like... $25? at the local drugstore), and in order to get free shipping and a $5 giftcard, I added a couple other products into my cart! The Clinique Moisturizer was gifted to me by a friend (thank you Vivian!) since she recommended gel moisturizers over lotion (especially since I have oily skin). So with all that being said, let's get into my first impressions of these products!


This face wash really lived up to my expectations! It cleanses my skin so well, and it "mattifies" my face without stripping away all the oils and getting that dry/squeaky feel. Any product that gives me a clean, matte feel is automatically going to be a favorite! However, the scent may not be a favorite to everyone. At first, I didn't really like the smell because it has that citrus, "dish-washing" soap smell.. if that makes sense. But after using it a couple times, I actually really like the scent now! It is a "Vitamin C" facial wash so it does make sense that it smells citrusy! If you're out of a face wash, I highly recommend this one! A little goes a long way so this wash will last a while which is great for $12. (Plus, the packaging is uber cute!) Can't wait to try other Soap & Glory products.

I know all you gals have heard of the hype of this drugstore powder by Rimmel London! I bought the powder in Transparent and I was actually surprised how good this product is for the price. The powder has a slight shimmer to it and smells really good. The smell may be strong if you just straight up smell the powder, but after applying it there is not a lingering smell so that is great for those who are sensitive about it. I don't use foundation and just applying this powder makes my skin looks so GOOD. It's very natural for those who don't wear foundation and it, and it minimizes the look of pores. It does help absorb the oils around my t-zone, but I'd have to reapply after a few hours depending on what I'm doing throughout the day (i.e. spending it outside in the sun, etc.) Overall, it controls oils which is great for the summer.

This has got to be the best moisturizer I've tried so far. I never tried Gel moisturizers before, and my friend recommended this to me and actually bought it for me to try! And this product has to be one of my holy grails from now on. It moisturizes and leaves my face MATTE. Like, what? You guys can probably tell how I feel towards mattifying facial products. It's so great to use after cleansing my face and starting my day. There isn't a scent which is great for people with sensitive skin, and it's a really light texture and absorbs into your skin very fast. Clinique is known for their skincare products, and the hype of their dramatically different moisturizers is well worth the investment! You can try a smaller size at Sephora before purchasing the full size product for about $14.50.


Matte liquid lipsticks have been extremely popular lately, but for people with lips that are easily dried out, matte isn't always the best way to go. So I came across NYX's Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick. I bought the shade "Soft Spoken" which is a mauvey-rose-nude color (similar to Kat Von D's Lolita which I LOVE), and I love the color! What I don't love is how it smells, it kind of smells like, cheap lipstick... but the color payoff and how it looks outweighs that con for me. It is moisturizing, but before leaving the house you should definitely do the lipstick check because of the non-drying formula, it is very creamy and gets on your teeth so easily. I'd also have to attempt to blot it because the color can transfer easily onto clothing and whatnot. It takes a while to "dry." But overall, the color is very flattering and trendy for an everyday lippie.
  Another hyped up product I've been meaning to try is ELF's Exfoliating Lip Scrub. I like it, but I don't love it. It is my first lip exfoliating product (and I know you can just use sugar and honey at home), so I don't really have anything to compare it to. It does help exfoliate dry skin, but it takes a while. When I first used it, nothing was exfoliating and I was confused since it just felt like a lip balm, but after a couple swatches I felt the exfoliants. For $3, it does a decent job for what it is and preps your lips before using a lip color which is actually really helpful!


Product Links:
e.l.f. Exfoliator $3
Soap and Glory Cleanser $12
Rimmel London Stay Matte Powder $3.99
NYX Liquid Suede Lipstick $6.99
Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel $14.50

2 comments

  1. Hi! If you can/want to, could you take pictures of how the makeup looks on you? It'd be helpful for others to see how that lipstick looks like, and maybe in different lighting (daylight, flash, etc.). Maybe compared to bare lips too so we can see the color payoff? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep that in mind for future posts and include swatches as well! I'll probably have a May favorites post with more detailed shots. :)

      Delete

INSTAGRAM | @LITTLEEENA

© A Petite Gal's Life | LITTLEEENA. Design by FCD.